Thursday, May 29

Tweeeaks

My little Eee is running the stock OS it came with - a customised Xandros with a tabbed front end. A nice little 'simulation' of it can be found at honeypothack. However, that's not quite what I see when I power the little guy up; my Eee is tweaked. Or was that tweeeaked? Or possible tweakeeed?

Thanks to the Absolute Beginers guide at eeeuser.com, it's easy even for a noob like me.

A quick list of what I have done:

Added repositories

Used pimpmyeee.sh

Added some third party tools

Namely pimpmyeee.sh, Launcher Tools, Theeemer, EmEditor and Tweakeee

Placed icons for said tools in a separate sub-tab

It's easy using the Launcher Tools

Enabled the Start button

Takes two mouseclicks with Tweakeee

Changed the default console

Tweakeee again - one click

Disabled the popup that tells me the Eee has found an SD card on boot

Not hard at all, following the howto. Using the console, I turned the script that runs to inform me that my Eee has found a SD card or USB stick non-executable.

Removed some of the useless (to me) buttons from the lower right

Tweakeee once again. So simple even grandma could do it.

Changed the default background images

Theeemer was used for this. Quick and easy.

Added dictionaries to Open Office

There is a macro in OO itself that lets you do this with ease.

Installed VLC

Tweakeee. I sense a pattern forming...

Made it shut down when I close the lid

Tweakeee, but with a minor twist this time. Tweakeee will - if you ask it to - place an icon on your desktop to let you change what happens when you close the lid.

Installed the GIMP on a whim

Because I could, and Tweakeee offers a button to push to do it!

Placed a shortcut (icon) to the characther map on my work tab so I could have an easy way t get norwegian letters when I need them

This one I actually had to research... for all of five minutes. The character map under Xandros is named 'kcharselect', and once I had learned that it was a simple thing to use the Launcher Tools to place an icon on the right tab.

Placed a shortcut to Open Office Base on my worktab (not that I am a big user of databases, but I can see a use for it in the future)

Again, easy with the Launcher Tools once you know that the name of the executable is 'oobase'.

While a fair number of these tweaks are 'under the hood', my Eee looks quite different when I boot it...


No comments: